Remember that scene from Christmas Vacation when the Griswold family Christmas tree is burnt to a crisp? The added excitement of the holidays can also add electrical and fire hazards to your home. Run down this safety list to avoid a Griswold-like holiday emergency! Here are few safe holiday tips you can follow:
Safe Holiday Tips
- If you have a real Christmas tree, keep it well-hydrated by watering it every day. The drier the tree, the higher the fire risk. Dispose of your tree once it begins drying out and dropping needles.
- Stockings hanging on your mantel? Keep them at least three feet away from an open flame.
- Stay in the kitchen while cooking on the stove.
- Blow out any candles before leaving your home or going to bed.
- Turn off holiday lights before leaving your home or going to bed.
- Do not run any cords under rugs or furniture.
- Use a power strip if you need to plug in several items in the same outlet.
- Do not leave running space heaters unattended and keep them away from children and pets.
- New electronics? Do not use them near water or sleep with them under your pillow.
- Keep batteries in their packages before use – they can be deadly if swallowed.
- Do not store any boxes near your furnace.
Courtesy of Electrical Safety Foundation International
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or try our new DIY services.