Outdoor exercise can benefit your health. It’s time to take to bike and jogging trails to get some healthful exercise in the great outdoors. This outdoor activity has the potential to put us in the wrong place at the wrong time – setting us up for a dangerous confrontation with a stranger.
Here are some safety rules that can help make your outdoor exercise safe and fun:
- Choose routes in advance that are safe and well-populated. Stick to public places, such as parks or trails where there are many others exercising at the same time.
- Avoid exercising outdoors in the dark. Don’t exercise too late in the evening, or too early in the morning, because there’s a greater chance of a crime occurring.
- Vary your route and schedule each day.
- Project confident body language and do not wear stereo headphones – it’s much safer to be alert to what you can hear happening around you.
- If you find yourself in danger, make noise! Yell or shout at any would-be attacker. It will help you to appear more intimidating than he or she expected.
- If physically threatened, run away! Fleeing is always your best option.
- Always trust your instincts. If you sense danger, go to a business that is open or another safe place.
Following these simple precautions can help make warm weather exercise in the great outdoors exhilarating, healthy and fun.