There have been several burglaries in Glencoe over the past couple months. This should serve as a reminder to be aware of the risk, and take precautions to minimize the chances of it happening to your home. These avoid break-ins tips can protect your belongings and family.
Avoid Break-Ins Tips
Use this guide to help you keep your home and your family protected from potential intruders and thieves.
#1 — Don’t Make it Obvious When You Aren’t Home
The easiest targets for burglars are unoccupied homes. If you are away on a trip or gone for an evening, make your home appear to be occupied to deter intruders.
- Use automatic light timers (these can also be used for radios and televisions).
- Turn your telephone ringer down or off completely, so outsiders can’t hear it ringing unanswered.
- Try to have calls forwarded if you will be gone for an extended period of time.
- Arrange with a neighbor or friend to mow your lawn or shovel your driveway while you’re gone.
- Ask a neighbor to pick up your mail and take out your trash cans.
- Never leave a note on your door!
#2 — Make it Hard to Get In
Is your home easily accessible? Make it too much trouble to break in so that it isn’t worth a thief’s time and efforts.
- Keep windows and doors locked at all times, even when you are home.
- Don’t hide your house key in an obvious place, like under a doormat.
- Make sure your doors and locks are solid and of high quality.
- Reinforce all doors and windows with a home security alarm.
- Use a metal or wooden rod for sliding glass doors so they cannot be opened even if unlocked.
- Never leave ladders outside.
- Cut back branches that hang over the roof or close to windows.
#3 — Take Away Hiding Places
A criminal’s goal is to get the job done without being seen, so taking away their cover can make a difference.
- Trim back or remove shrubs near doors and windows.
- Install motion-sensor lights near every door leading into your home.
- Be mindful of the side and back of your home. These areas generally get less attention, so they provide a good hiding spot for burglars.
#4 — Install a Home Security System
The most effective way to keep your home safe from intruders is by installing and arming a home security system. They can not only catch a burglar in his tracks, but can even lead him to avoid coming near your home in the first place.
- Put decals on windows and yard signs out in a noticeable place.
- Use a system that involves motion sensors and door and window arming.
- If you have trouble remembering your pass code, write it down and keep it hidden in a place that is hard for others to find.
Courtesy of WebMD