There have been several burglaries in Glencoe over the past couple months. This should serve as a reminder to be aware of the risk, and take precautions to minimize the chances of it happening to your home.
Use this guide to help you keep your home and your family protected from potential intruders and thieves.
#1 — Don’t Make it Obvious When You Aren’t Home
The easiest targets for burglars are unoccupied homes. If you are away on a trip or gone for an evening, make your home appear to be occupied to deter intruders.
- Use automatic light timers (these can also be used for radios and televisions).
- Turn your telephone ringer down or off completely, so outsiders can’t hear it ringing unanswered.
- Try to have calls forwarded if you will be gone for an extended period of time.
- Arrange with a neighbor or friend to mow your lawn or shovel your driveway while you’re gone.
- Ask a neighbor to pick up your mail and take out your trash cans.
- Never leave a note on your door!
#2 — Make it Hard to Get In
Is your home easily accessible? Make it too much trouble to break in so that it isn’t worth a thief’s time and efforts.
- Keep windows and doors locked at all times, even when you are home.
- Don’t hide your house key in an obvious place, like under a doormat.
- Make sure your doors and locks are solid and of high quality.
- Reinforce all doors and windows with a home security alarm.
- Use a metal or wooden rod for sliding glass doors so they cannot be opened even if unlocked.
- Never leave ladders outside.
- Cut back branches that hang over the roof or close to windows.
#3 — Take Away Hiding Places
A criminal’s goal is to get the job done without being seen, so taking away their cover can make a difference.
- Trim back or remove shrubs near doors and windows.
- Install motion-sensor lights near every door leading into your home.
- Be mindful of the side and back of your home. These areas generally get less attention, so they provide a good hiding spot for burglars.
#4 — Install a Home Security System
The most effective way to keep your home safe from intruders is by installing and arming a home security system. They can not only catch a burglar in his tracks, but can even lead him to avoid coming near your home in the first place.
- Put decals on windows and yard signs out in a noticeable place.
- Use a system that involves motion sensors and door and window arming.
- If you have trouble remembering your pass code, write it down and keep it hidden in a place that is hard for others to find.
For more information about Alert Protective Services‘ home security systems, call us at 773-685-8383 or visit our website.
Courtesy of WebMD